The Black Getter (ブラックゲッター) is a modified Getter-1 unit that first appeared in the OVA series Getter Robo Armageddon, and later appearing in video games starting with Getter Robo Daikessen and appearing in many of the Super Robot Wars franchise games. In most of its appearances, it is piloted by Ryoma Nagare.
Although possessing the same overall body shape of a Getter-1 Unit, the Black Getter had several differences besides the aforementioned new black color. It displayed a redesigned knee armor, lacked the antennae usually seen under the ears, came equipped with a mouth guard acting as the hatch to the cockpit, and possessed pupils in its eyes, similar to those seen on Shin Getter Robo. All these new features gave the Black Getter an intimidating appearance, as well as the impression that it was alive.
In the video game Getter Robo Daikessen, Black Getter feature the different design from Armageddon and use the spare parts of various Getter Machines.
- Head and Legs: Shin Getter-1
- Body: Getter Dragon
- Right Arm: Getter 2's Getter Arm combined with Getter Drill.
- Left Arm: Getter Go
Following his 13 year Getter Ray-induced excursion across space and time, Ryoma awakens in the abandoned Getter Robot, discarded on a lunar base which had been deserted following the Moon Wars. After extensive modifications and repairs, Ryoma flies this machine back down to earth, where it acquires its signature black color scheme after the original paint job burned-up due to atmospheric re-entry.
Once on Earth, Ryoma would use the Black Getter to fight off the Invaders and the Metal Beasts as well as eventually help the new Getter Team. However, after getting it's Getter energy absorbed by Shin Dragon, Black Getter was left unable to be used any further with the damage it sustained.
The Black Getter possesses the standard armaments of a Getter-1 unit, including the Getter Tomahawks, Getter Wing, and the Getter Beam. However, either through damage or intentional optimization, it only possesses one Getter Cutter on its left arm but gave it extended reach compared to earlier models. In addition, each fist is tipped with spikes which can be extended to pierce into Invaders with ease(However, this extension feature has only been seen being used on the right arm). Although not used in the series, the unit was equipped with a machine gun like every other Getter Unit, but this is only seen in Super Robot Wars Z3 and Super Robot Wars V.
Armageddon version weapons
- Getter Razor (AKA Getter Cutter): The blade on left forearm.
- Getter Machine Gun (used in video games): A pair of machine guns folded within the forearms.
- Getter Tomahawk: A pair of gigantic hand axes and main combat weapon. Can be thrown as boomerang.
- Getter Beam: Fires a powerful blast of Getter Ray from stomach.
- Spiral Getter Beam: Fires a Getter Beam while covered in Getter Wing, resulting in it spreading beam attack.
- Getter Spike Blade: The extendable spikes on Black Getter's fists.
- Getter Strangle (Super Robot Wars Alpha 2 and 3):Black Getter attacks the enemy with Getter Razor and Spike Blade follows up with Tomahawk before finishes off with Getter Beam.
- Black Getter Strike (Super Robot Wars Z3 and V): Black Getter throws multiple Tomahawk Boomerangs at enemy follows up with Spike Blade and finishes off with Getter Machine Gun.
Getter Robo Daikessen version weapons
- Arm Gun: The laser gun of left arm.
- Getter Tomahawk: A gigantic hand axe based on Getter Dragon's Tomahawk.
- Drill Rock Buster: The Black Getter charges at the enemy and uses the Drill Arm to perform a powerful uppercut that generates a tornado.
- Ankoku Ranbu (暗黒乱舞 Dark Wild Dance): The Black Getter attacks the enemy with rapid punches and kicks before finishes off with Arm Gun.
- Getter Beam: Fires the beam of Getter Ray from the forehead.